Sunday, June 21, 2009

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

I was the first born to Jewish parents. My earliest religious experiences were my bris (The Jewish religious rite of circumcision at eight days of age) and being redeemed by my father (Redemption of the First Born). According to Jewish tradition, it was the first born who were to be sacred to G-d and were to serve him as Priests. Because of the sin of the Golden Calf, that privilege was transferred to the Kohanim. In some way, I want to reclaim what was once my birthright.

I am gay. Gay as in demonized by organized religion. Gay as in demonized by verses quoted from the bible. Gay as in taught that G-d does not love me, that I am not wanted.

The theme of my spiritual journey, is that of being twice blessed (Gay and Jewish) and my seeking to reclaim what was mine.

After much study, I have reached the point that I finally understand that G-d loves me. After much study, I understand that being Jewish is my birthright and that it comes with an inheritance that is priceless. Finally, I have reached the point were I am starting to understand the richness of my faith. Finally, I am starting to understand and appreciate the patience, love, tremendous kindness and forgiveness G-d has showered upon me.

My decision to become ordained was done after some serious soul searching. I needed to know that I knew enough about my faith to justify my becoming a Minister. I needed to know that I was going to take being a Minister seriously. Soon after becoming a Minister, I was contacted by the President of a gay organization that I had been involved with sometime before. The problem he called about was gay and lesbian homeless youth. He had just been involved in helping to find shelter for a teenage boy who had been kicked out of his home (with only the clothes on his back) because of his sexual orientation. After a lengthy talk, I offered to help out by leading a series of discussion groups and I started writing a series of articles designed to bring G-d’s love and affirmation to the gay, lesbian, bisexual, intersexed, and transgenedered community.

For me as a minister, this is about G-d loving us, and my sharing that love with those who feel unloved and unwanted. For me, this is about reclaiming my birthright and by reclaiming my birthright, I am fulfilling the reason G-d put me here.

We are all children of G-d and we are all here to help each other. If I can be of any help, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment